To keep your jewellery’s brilliance, learn what to avoid and how to care for your precious metals, folia and natural gemstones with the care instructions below:
Caring For and Wearing Your Jewellery
- To help protect the durability and high-quality of your jewellery, remove your jewellery when you shower, bathe or engage in heavy exercise, particularly when swimming in the sea or a chlorinated swimming pool.
- All of our gemstones are natural and therefore can be vulnerable to absorbing dirt and to chipping. Settings may also become loose over-time.
- Avoid spraying perfume, applying creams or any other liquids directly onto your jewellery.
- Avoid applying make-up whist wearing your jewellery as dust particles from make-up products can dull down the gemstones and folia jewellery.
- Keep your jewellery away from extreme temperatures, humidity or sunlight.
- Avoid wearing your jewellery when using bleach, cleaning products and other chemicals.
How to Store Your Jewellery
- We highly recommend that you store your jewellery in the original Ikigai Apparel packaging provided or another suitably lined box or soft pouch and place a small packet of desiccant crystals in the packaging if you live in a humid climate.
- Ideally store your pieces of jewellery separately, so that they don't rub together or become tangled.
Cleaning Precious Metals
- To keep your jewellery looking radiant and to remove the build-up of dirt and premature tarnish we recommend using soft polishing cloth. Rub the piece in one direction rather than circular motions.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean metal as they can cause scratching.
- Since many natural gemstones can be quite delicate, hot water, harsh chemicals and cleaners should be avoided at all times.
- Clean your gemstones with a clean, soft, damp cloth after wearing. You will not need to clean your Druzy gemstones as these are extremely delicate.
- Very porous stones such as Pearl, Opal, Emerald, Turqoiuse, Coral and Onyx should be cleaned using an untreated, dry, soft cloth only.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean gemstones as they can cause scratching.
Cleaning Folia leaves
- You will rarely need to clean or polish your Folia jewellery. If you wish to clean your Folia jewellery do so with a clean, soft cloth
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean Folia as they can cause scratching.
How to Prevent Tarnishing
- Silver tarnishes rapidly when exposed to certain substances in our everyday lives so we recommend caring for, wearing and storing your jewellery as mentioned above.
"Gold Vermeil" means that our jewellery is made from a sterling silver base metal and is then coated with really thick 22k gold plate / rose gold plate.
Nickel is a trace metal which can be found in any precious metals such as silver or gold, it is also classified as an allergen.
We do not add Nickel to Ikigai Apparel jewellery, however trace amounts can be found in some of the metals used in our pieces. A very small number of people who are hypersensitive may suffer a reaction. Please inform our team via our Contact Us page quoting you receipt number if this affects you.